About Me

My photo
I am one of the most famous female rulers in history. My family ruled ancient Egypt for more than 100 years before my birth in 69 B.C. I am the last ruler of the Macedonian dynasty. My father the great King Ptolemy XII, who died when I was 18 year old, left the throne to me and my brother, Ptolemy XIII.

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Arts

Arts
                                                                   
The Han dynasty is notable for its concentration on organized ceramic production. Mass-produced functional vessels, some stamped with place names and government offices, suggest that a true nationwide industry had come into existence and that some ceramic workshops were already state controlled. Molds aided tremendously in the manufacture of identical vessels, but the most important technical innovation was the development of lead glazing. These low-fired glazes were colored with copper to produce green, or iron to create yellow or brown. The toxicity of lead however meant that these new glazes were best suited to mortuary pottery rather than daily use.








Works Cited:
 
Han Dynasty Ceramics. 1915. Photograph.
Minneapolis Institute of ArtsWeb. 7 Oct 2012.
<http://www.artsmia.org/art-of-asia/introduction/>.

2 comments:

  1. Very detail orientated, which helps a lot. But, quick question; did they only use this process for the pottery, or did it apply to other means of art as well, such as sculptures and such of the like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have also liked to see more of the arts of this time. But this was very helpful!

    ReplyDelete